Jul 13, 2024

Nepal to Hosts Prestigious 8th Edition of South Asian Travel Awards

Nepal to Hosts Prestigious 8th Edition of South Asian Travel Awards

KATHMANDU, July 08: The South Asian Travel Awards (SATA) has announced its highly anticipated events for 2024, set to honor excellence in the regional hospitality sector. This will be the 8th edition of SATA, continuing its legacy of celebrating outstanding achievements in South Asian hospitality.

With support from the Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) and the Hotels Association of Nepal (HAN), the celebrations will commence with a grand cocktail event on September 19th, 2024, at The Malla Hotel. This event is designed to serve as a prime networking opportunity, fostering connections and collaborations among key industry players.

On September 20th, 2024, another major event Gala will be held at Aloft Kathmandu, recognizing and rewarding remarkable achievements in South Asian hospitality. Previous editions of SATA have been hosted in Mount Lavinia, Addu City, Mumbai, Galle City, Male’ Atoll, and Bengaluru, with one edition held virtually during the pandemic, showcasing SATA's resilience and commitment to excellence.

President of SATA, Ismail Hameed, highlighted the Maldives government's initiation of SATA in 2016 and emphasized the importance of regional unity, especially during challenging times like the COVID-19 pandemic. He stated, “If we stay together, the lion cannot eat us,” underscoring that collaboration among neighboring countries is vital for success. 

This year's event sees participation from over 52 brands from Nepal, with more than 400 nominations and 44 winners to be announced. Some nominated hotels are noted for their uniqueness, luxury, and popularity. The nomination and award process is inclusive, with open applications for all associations and individuals. There are no charges for participation, and nominees present their hotels to a professional jury for evaluation.

The allocation of awards involves a combination of online voting and jury assessment, with online votes accounting for 40% and professional jury scores making up the remaining 60%. The jury comprises experts from India, the Maldives, and Bhutan. Destination and airline awards are decided entirely through online voting.

Nandini Lahe-Thapa, Director of Tourism Marketing and Promotion at NTB, highlighted the importance of SATA in recognizing South Asia's top hotels. She noted that the tourism industry is the world's largest and praised SATA as a flagship event for the hospitality sector. Hosting SATA in Nepal is a great honor, bringing 250 top promoters and media officials, which will enhance networking and promote new destinations in the country, letting Nepal be known as a travel spot beyond the mountains.

Vice Chairman of the Nepal Tourism Board, Ram Prasad Sapkota, expressed that this event will significantly promote Nepal’s tourism industry and encourage local entrepreneurs to excel. Nandini Lahe-Thapa, NTB's Director of Tourism Marketing and Promotion, emphasized the prestige of SATA and its importance in promoting South Asia's high-quality hospitality industry.

President of HAN, Binayak Shah, reiterated their commitment to making the event successful, recognizing the fair and strict criteria that SATA follows in awarding hotels, as evidenced by the Airport Hotel's previous award.

The event saw attendance from various esteemed guests, including the General Managers of Aloft Hotel Kathmandu and The Malla Hotel, the Lead of SATA in Nepal, Mr. Prashant Pradhan, and other dignitaries, all expressing great enthusiasm for the upcoming September event.

SATA’s 2024 events are set to be memorable, driving innovation and growth in the hospitality industry while celebrating the best in South Asian hospitality.

Comments